Jowar is commonly known as sorghum in the English language. It has acquired prominence as the brand new quinoa because of its wholesome goodness and gluten-free property. In the west and south India, Jowar sorghum is milled into Jowar flour to make many food items.
Here are 10 reasons why Jowar sorghum is so good for your health:
- Free of gluten: Gluten happens to be a protein-based component found in barley and wheat-based products. Jowar sorghum is gluten-free and prevents different digestion problems like cramps in the stomach, pain, and bloating. If you suffer from gluten intolerance, then Jowar will be an excellent alternative for you to try.
- Fibre rich: Compared to grains like rice and barley, Jowar has a much superior fibre concentration, with a single serving having 12 grams. It happens to be more than the medically recommended single day intake of 48%. If you switch to Jowar sorghum, it will lower the chances of high blood pressure, stroke, obesity, diabetes, digestive issues and even cardiac disease.
- Keeps blood sugar levels in control: Jowar is a complex carbohydrate, which means that it has slow digestion, which brings about a gradual rise in blood sugar. If a person has diabetes, they would be in better health by switching to Jowar.
- High in protein: One of the essential constituents of a meal is protein. Just a single cup of Jowar sorghum has about 22 g of protein. It is an excellent choice for energy gain and also helps the cells in the body to regenerate.
- Iron-rich: Human beings need their quota of iron-rich food, and Jowar sorghum is a good source of iron. In every cup of Jowar, there is 8.45 mg of iron, which is enough to supplement a person’s diet. It is important to remember that the iron in Jowar is not easy to absorb. If you pair it with meat or vitamin c rich fruits, it will go down well and be absorbed quickly.
- Bone health: Jowar has extensive magnesium reserves, and it helps the calcium levels in the body to stay at the right level. It is because magnesium increases the absorption of calcium.
- Filled with essential supplements: Jowar sorghum has vitamin B, which helps the body to build new cells and tissues. Jowar also contains phosphorous and potassium, along with traces of copper, zinc and 20 other macronutrients and a high level of many antioxidants. For people who want to look young and fit, Jowar is a must for its antioxidant properties and nutrition.
- Helps with weight loss: The dietary concentration of Jowar is much higher than other grains and cereals. A single serving of Jowar has more than 12 grams, which is more than 48% of the recommended intake of fibre daily. Because of the rich fibre content, Jowar ensures that your satiety levels are high. It helps you lose weight since it lowers your food intake encourages and fewer hunger pangs. With your appetite reduced, you will achieve weight loss faster.
- Improved digestion: With its high fibre content, Jowar will strengthen your digestion noticeably – fibre acts as a bulking agent and helps to pass the stool through the digestive tract smoothly. Apart from aiding a healthy digestive system, Jowar is also a good choice for those who suffer from bloating, constipation, stomach ache and diarrhoea. Jowar sorghum also has a good percentage of niacin, an essential vitamin for transforming food into energy. Niacin makes sure that the body’s energy levels are constant throughout the day, avoiding energy spikes. Jowar with a single serving can take care of 28% of the recommended intake of food daily.
- Heart health: The wealth of fibre in Jowar helps lower the bad cholesterol or LDL levels in the body, dramatically reducing your chances of having a heart attack. Jowar, with its ability to remove cholesterol, reduces the hindrance to the flow of blood, plaque formation and atherosclerosis. Jowar is also rich in nutrients like iron, vitamin B, magnesium, and several antioxidants that help prevent different cardiovascular issues and conditions. Jowar also packs iron and copper. They have a pivotal role in improving blood circulation in the body: while the iron is to nurture red blood cells, copper increases iron absorption into the body, lowering the chances of developing anaemia. A serving of Jowar will be able to provide you with 58% of recommended daily copper intake.
The nutrition values of Jowar and wheat, if compared, have the same quantity of micronutrients. However, Jowar scores over wheat when factors like gluten content and glycemic index are taken into account. Jowar takes longer than wheat to get absorbed into the body and release glucose, which is helpful in patients who have high blood sugar levels and cannot risk sudden spikes in glucose levels.
Also, being gluten-free, Jowar is a good choice in place of wheat. The best way to bring Jowar into your diet is with Rotis, paired with other pulses and cereals. Jowar flour is also a very healthy food for growing children and can keep up with the physical demands of young age. It is not expensive, yet it scores over all the other cereals when it is considered a food choice because of its many benefits. Incorporate Jowar sorghum in your diet today and see the difference.